Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Oh, nothing really

It is only after getting rid of my top-of-the-shelf iPod (gifted it to my sis during my trip to India) that I realize what it meant to me. It was probably an unmentioned, taken-for-granted companion that would accompany me to almost all places I visited, whether or not the companionship was made use of, acknowledged or valued. Never more missed than during my trip to Portland. Usually I board the airline, plug in my iPod and am lost to the world around me. Sometimes I smile silently at a video, nod my head at a movie I start watching or silently tap away to the beats when the music takes over.

The stop-over flights from Toronto to Portland meant a tremendously long travel time. For the first time in almost several years I felt I had opened my eyes during a flight. Several interesting personalities popped up as my neighbours. I shall try and exclude part or the whole of their names. But to me, the character loses meaning as soon as I change the name. Not done.

Atlanta to Portland : A marble collector and antique marble seller. Old man. Would incline his head towards me every 10 minutes and say something and chuckle to himself. I would nod in appreciation, even if I couldn't hear what he said. The effect of which was that he would chuckle more. He finally started reading a book as I started to work on my presentation. But in the next 10 minutes, he leaned towards me again and almost made me promise that I would read the book he was holding in his hand. "Will do sir, will do", I assured him. He explained the history of marbles to me and was greatly knowledgeable in that area. Even invited me over to his home in Salem for a lunch. Finally as we were about to depart, he thrust the book in my hand. I was stunned by this gesture. Not something readily seen in the Americas, I can tell you that. I thanked him profusely, took his email address so I could email him once I finished reading his book. Didn't quite know what to make of the whole thing, but after a good two weeks, after a marathon session at work and coming back home to my Winamp music list, I stare blankly at the book and see this: "Tuesdays with Morrie - an old man, a young man and life's greatest lesson" by Mitch Albom. I am tempted to say "Go read it", but shall hold on till I manage to finish it of course. But there was a lesson in there somewhere, even if I am unable to explain it right now.

Portland Airport: sitting at the Margarita Bar, surfing and catching up on email. Enter Christine who took the seat next to me and promptly ordered her two margaritas. She asked for help about getting into the wi-fi network there and who better than me around, surfing away madly. Sorry, couldn't help that one. She soon reveals that she signed her divorce papers on Valentine's Day and how her life ends at 32. I don't know what I told her (simply cannot remember) but she thanked me profusely. Not often that you get so many blessings and good wishes and compliments of being a good soul from a stranger. Hope she finds happiness.

Portland to Las Vegas: A certain Kevin, whose wife was on the verge of leaving him. He was very quiet at first but once he started talking to me, there was no turning back. Covered almost all topics from relationships to Sufism. He gravely insisted and finally bought me a beer. So there it was, two strangers drinking away their Friday evening and flying to Vegas. The interesting part was when I remarked how stunning (no matter how many times I have seen it while airborne) Las Vegas looked from high above - a dazzling display of lights. Immediately Kevin became agitated. He was very loud on how water from other parts have been wrongly diverted and used to light up a desert. He very strongly recommended me to read a book on the Colorado River and the impact on Vegas. I forget the author's name, but will find it out soon.

Vegas to Toronto: A slightly elderly lady Claudette who happens to be on the film board of Canada. We discussed film making at length (happens to be one of my passions). In particular the discussion on Mani Ratnam's Dil Se was enlightening.
She was very well versed with Indian films and had been to India many times.

Why did I mention it now? Today? Don't know. Exhausted after 2 days at work with a three hour nap in between I guess.

In any case, kuch yaadein. Bas.

Things come back to you slowly, at their own leisure, at their own pace, as they choose.

2 comments:

Deepika said...

That's the best thing about travel guruji!! Apart from the excitement of venturing into virgin lands, we get to meet total strangers and sometimes end up cleansing our bosoms of the perilous stuff hanging heavily on us. Its quite paradoxical actually when two strangers over a short period of time end up discussing intimate problems. I think most people feel comfortable talking about their probs with strangers coz somewhere they are sure that," this person is not going to judge me coz he hardly knows me." And there lies the difference coz many a times in life we judge people either " just too early " or " just too late ". Wat say??

And send me a pic of the person who gave you that book. I'll frame it and burn incense sticks infront of it. Anybody who can give books to a total stranger with out the other asking for it is no less than an angel for me. I for one can hardly part with my books or music so easily!!

And your sis must be on cloud 9 right now. Thats one of the many advantages of having an elder "earning" bro n i can guarantee that being a younger sibling myself.

Gosh!! i dnt think u would call this a comment, it almost looks like a letter. wat say guruji!!

Anand S said...

Hi Shishya - good to hear from you. No, your email-like comment was very well welcomed. Agree with you entirely...only that I prefer to cleanse myself on only a known and trusted soul. No strangers there please. A heartfelt and sincere conversation is possible no doubt :) But you are right - people do end up not being able to communicate even in very intimate relationships and end up talking about their deepest problems openly with a stranger. I am not one of them though. Rather I tend to think something is wrong somewhere with those people or their relationships. Not to say, all have someone close to talk to or are in some kind of a relationship or even have a family...but you get the drift. But you put it very nicely.