Sunday, December 16, 2007

Love

One of my readers asked my thoughts about love. I decided I am the most inappropriate guy to expound on this complicated emotion...er..if it can be called one. But I hate to turn away the few faithful readers I have today. Hence this entry. On this thing called : Love.

Probably the most overused, overabused, overpitched, overloaded word in history. It can be linked to almost anything and everything : wars, politics, scandals, mythology, brand marketing, product releases, family life, relationships etc. And yet, like anything mystical, it is something that defies all definitions and attempts to bind it to any one given meaning, emotional state or form. Ask anyone you know. Each of them will define love in a different way. Once you start defining love, it probably even ceases to make sense.

The many women I have had the privilege of knowing over the years have defined love differently from the men I have known. Most women have typically defined love as : "The man loves me if he can accept me the way I am." Most men I have known have linked love with respect, caring and even sex (though unofficially. If she has sex with me, I know she has feelings for me. Could be true. Once your wife starts cheating on you, chances are she won't be getting cosy in bed with you). But it is generally agreed upon that men are idiots. So the definition hardly matters.

But look at what the women above say. "Accepting the woman the way she is" is a diplomatic and political masterstroke. It effectively is the ticket to happiness forever. Each morning, each day, she might turn a new leaf inside out; and the statement still holds true. Brilliant! The moment I first heard this (I believe it was my college senior who said this to her boyfriend while I watched and listened in awe at the lady) I knew it was a clincher. I felt elated and knew that is the kind of love I wanted. A girl who could simply accept me for who I am. It was a new dawn in thinking as far as I went. That was 1992. I have met a variety of women since. And most swear by this concept of love.

But probe a bit further and get doomed. Would you be happy if your partner accepts you the way you are but is not caring? Would you be happy if your partner accepts you the way you are but flirts with other women? Would you be happy if he accepts you the way you are but really doesn't care too much for the relationship? The women probably meant all of the above things and probably some more when they talked about the acceptance part. So love cannot be acceptance alone. When I was 21 this definition seemed quite practical and I loved it. But soon realized it was as theoretical as anything else.

Like all ideals and notions my concept of love has definitely evolved and changed over the past decade. I think when people talk of love, they mean two things: one in the context of what they have in their minds (the theoretical concept that they know deep down will never happen : we all have probably read One and The Bridge Across Forever by Richard Bach and have at one time or the other subscribed to the concept of a soulmate) and the second in the context of what they have in life and what they know is probably within their grasp. For example, it is all well for the woman to say acceptance of her true self is paramount but if unfortunately she ends up with a real skirt-chaser, then her concept of love tends to revolve around faith and sincere attention. If she ends up with a workoholic her concept of love would typically rest on her guy being attentive towards the relationship, herself and the family.

Fundamentally all I have known is that factors like the above are people's reactions to circumstances and the esteemed ego. My concept is very practical. To me love is the feeling you have for your partner which brings you back to the person each and every time you are on the brink of breaking away. It is what holds you two together. Fevicol ki majboot jhod kind of thing, you know.

If you look carefully, the feeling that keeps two people from drifting apart actually is an emotion that encompasses a whole lot of other emotions and more. It overlays almost all definitions of love I have heard, one's ego, one's anger, one's hurt. It is a pure emotion that tells you what you'd rather have in your life and what you are prepared to give up. It enforces the faith you have in the person and shows you the single focal point of your life at the crossroads.

Everything else is the Masala. Without the meat there would be no need for the spices.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The defnition of love does change with the different cross roads that life takes.but honestly love is an elusive word in this era,before you only heard of multi nationals and multi tasking,now a days its multi partners ans even multiple soul mates!!!like the nike ad goes "dil maange more"they believe that they have found their love of their lives,but the hunt goes on...primitive instincts i guess!!!

Anand S said...

Well said Riya. Yes for the immature ( and illiterate, in the school of life I guess) the hunt always goes on. This is because of an internal confusion and tussle since they are always so too darn concerned for their future, their image, their careers, their societal status, their own well-being that they forget the true nature of love; and are forever swimming in the whirlpool of confusion and changing feelings towards what could be a simple feeling of love. I believe love in its truest form is the most simple emotion - something I didnt have the guts to mention in my post. Thanks for your insightful comment!!

You have a blog?

Deepika said...

OMG that was quite an exegesis of love. well i find love to be as confusing as organic chemistry but as pure as aromatic compounds.So its quite a gamble.Inter alia, excellent presentation.Guruji charan kahan hain aapke aur bhagwan ne jaise aapke system mein creativity aur articulation koot koot ke bhari hai.

Anand S said...

LOL Dipika - arre thanks yaar. Aapke comments kaafi generous hain, no doubt :) The comparison to organic chemistry was really funny. No wonder there is always the "love chem" phrasal reference popping up. I honestly fail to understand why it should be confusing. Faith, trust, instinct, convictions = love accessories that along with the feeling of having found someone help in instantly sealing something, no? If you keep questioning the very foundation of the feeling, anything will get confusing, but more in your head. Also depends on if you think through your head or your heart :). I guess...

Anand S said...

My apologies, as goes my last comment. The name being Deepika. Misspelt. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Very nicely written. You write so very well..ar you really a sw engineer and not a full time writer? :) your posts have inspired me to start writing my blog...so thank u!!!

Anonymous said...

hey just forgot to add that what a beautiful post that was!and the pictures are so awesome and so aptly named!!!great going Anand.waiting lots more from you.All the best!

Anand S said...

Swati - Sorry for the delayed response. For some reason, I thought I replied. Thanks again...Hope to read your blog. You need to send the URL first though :)

Anand S said...

Riya - as usual, thanks for your inspiring comments. The place (Banff, Jasper) is really beautiful, so I shall refrain from consuming any credit for the photos :) But glad you agree with the title...It is very heavenly. Look fwd to your future comments for sure. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

simply brilliant,every blogger has a post on love,but by far this is THE best one i have read!kudos to you anand!great going!

Anand S said...

Hi Ravi, thanks for the lavish praise :) I wrote a pretty random post, never thought anyone would agree with my point of view...but the responses have been super encouraging...I will say I am kicked right now...this also means I am losing my license to write random trash and have a certain expectation to live upto. Ahem. :( But I shall honestly try. Thanks again!